brltty and red hat 9

jacobs at surferie.net jacobs at surferie.net
Thu Jun 12 10:48:22 EDT 2003

Hi listers
I dug out my powerbraille 80 yesterday and decided to put it to use. So I
installed the brltty 3.2 RPM, editted the configuration file, and launched
brltty. All was well... for about 5 seconds. Then my display showed what
looks like computer braille question marks (dots 1-4-5-6). Moving around the
screen with my braille display revealed nothing but computer braille
questionmarks on the bottom half, and grade II braille questionmarks (dots
2-3-6) on the top half of the screen. When starting brltty in rc.sysinit,
things go better up until right before it goes multiuser. Then my display
goes back to the questionmarks. I'm assuming it's something RH does in the
boot scripts, but for the life of me, I can't find it. This does not happen
when I connect the display to my laptop running slackware 9.
Any brltty/redhat users know what's going on here? Yes, I know this is the
speakup list.