alsa problems

Doug wearable at shawcable.com
Mon Jun 9 21:06:00 EDT 2003

If you don't want to use alsa then skip the loading of
snd-pcm-oss and snd-mixer-oss. Those are alsa drivers
(for oss emulation), and the standard linux sb driver
already implements OSS for soundblaster. Those drivers
cannot work together, the pcm-oss and mixer-oss only
work with the alsa soundblaster driver.

Without alsa ... you should be able to just modprobe sb
and get audio working, but you may have to configure
the DMA and IO ports like this:

modprobe sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330

(change those values for your card or bios settings)

 > Hi there...  I will do that, however, I cannot seem
 > to find a version for slackware, can ya give me a
 > link to it please?

I have never used a slackware version because it's
easy to build from source on slackware. Grab the
alsa-driver, alsa-lib, and alsa-util distributions:

ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver/
ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/lib/
ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/utils/

Drop those in/usr/src/ and extract them. Then build
them in the order listed (driver, lib, utils):

cd alsa-driver*
./configure --with-sequencer=yes --with-oss=yes

If it's an isapnp card to this instead
./configure --with-isapnp=yes --with-sequencer=yes --with-oss=yes

make
make install

(Do the same for alsa-lib and alsa-util)

Run
./snddevices
to create the device files
(unless you use devfs, if so see the alsa docs)

Then load the alsa modules:

modprobe snd-card  <-- pick the right driver for your card
modprobe snd-pcm-oss
modprobe snd-mixer-oss

You are trying to load those last two now but they
don't exist yet because alsa is not installed. Those
don't work with the standard linux oss drivers, they
only work with alsa.

   -- Doug