Email problems

Lorenzo Prince lorenzo at princenet.sytes.net
Mon Jun 9 22:36:27 EDT 2003

Please don't reply to this message on the list, as for some reason I won't
receive it.

I have just switched my server computer where my mail is hosted and where
all my other servers are running from Slackware to Red Hat 9.  I love Red
Hat, but I am having a couple of problems.

Firstly, I can send mail from my local mailbox, but I can't receive mail.
I have sent message after message from a mailbox that is hosted remotely
in an attempt to test whether or not I am receiving mail, and every one of
them have gotten lost somewhere in cyberspace.  Also, I get the message
every now and then that says "spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7." and the
message seems to display at times when I probably should have received an
email message.  Also, when I try to test to be sure I don't have an open
relay by telnetting to relay-test.mail-abuse.org, I get a connection error
that says

/proj/maps/bin/in.relaytest: socket failed [Bad file descriptor]

I don't know if all of these things are related, but as you can see, it
looks like a very serious problem.  If anyone knows how to fix this
problem, please respond to this email offlist at prince77 at myrealbox.com as
I am able to receive mail at that address with no problems.

Thanks for the help

Lorenzo