OT: encrypting email

Thomas Stivers stivers_t at tomass.dyndns.org
Mon Jun 2 16:53:42 EDT 2003

On 06/02/03  2:09 PM -0400, Chuck Hallenbeck wrote:
> Next I have to learn how to publish my public key.

If you installed gnupg from a package you should have a ~/gnupg/gpg.conf
or ~/.gnupg/options file. The gpg.conf file is for newer versions of
gnupg. Just add a line like "keyserver wwwkeys.pgp.net" in that file and
then run "gpg --send-key somekey" where somekey is a unique part of your
key ID like your e-mail address. The key servers update one another so
once you put your key on one it will update on all of them. Also you can
get other peoples' keys with "gpg --recv-keys somekey". Now the
challenge is getting your key signed.
--
Unix is a user friendly operating system. It just picks its friends more
carefully than others.