Now that I'm up and running...

Ralph W. Reid rreid at sunset.net
Sun Jun 1 02:21:19 EDT 2003

Steven M. Sawczyn staggered into view and mumbled:

>Well folks, I finally did it, I have Slackware running with Speakup and
>boy am I excited!!!  I've Qmail built and, although mail isn't resolving
>properly for some strange reason, I'm sure I'll get that fixed shortly.

I am not familiar with Qmail specifically, but I did have some
frustrating moments with email when I installed Slackware 9.0.  I
finally discovered that the problem I was having (which sounds like
the same kind of trouble you might be having) was with two sendmail
configuration files.  Here are some basic steps which might help you
resolve your email problem if it is the same problem I had:

1.  Log in as root so you can edit the proper configuration files.

2.  Change to the /etc/mail directory.

3.  Make backup copies of the sendmail.cf and submit.cf files which
are in the /etc/mail directory.  You will be editing both of these
files, so you may need original copies in case the changes you make
do not work.

4.  Load the sendmail.cf file into your favorite editor.

5.  Move down to the line in the file that reads as follows:
#Dj$w.Foo.COM
I found this text on line 71 of the sendmail.cf file on my system.

6.  Make a copy of the line so you have something to edit.

7.  Remove the hash mark (#) from the beginning of the copied line.

8.  Replace the portion of the text on the line which reads
`$w.Foo.COM' with the domain of your ISP.  As an example, here is the
way the new line looks in my sendmail.cf file:
Djsunset.net
Hazarding a guess based on the email header I received with your
message, the new line in your sendmail.cf file might look as follows
(note that I could be very wrong here--use the proper ISP domain name
for the service provider you use):
Djoutblaze.com

9.  Save the edited sendmail.cf file.

10.  Make the changes outlined above in the submit.cf file in the
/etc/mail directory.  The line which needed to be changed in the
/etc/mail/submit.cf file on my system was line 61--you may find the
line in a different location in the submit.cf file on your system.
The original text and the changes that should be made to the line of
text in the submit.cf file are the same as those made in the
sendmail.cf file as described above.  Be sure to save the submit.cf
file as you did the sendmail.cf file.

11.  Once you have made the changes in the two sendmail configuration
files as described above, change to the /etc/rc.d directory.

12.  At the command prompt, enter the following command:
./rc.sendmail restart

13.  If all is well, your email problems should be resolved.  If your
email is still not working as you had hoped, you can restore the
sendmail configuration files by copying the backups you made of them
at the beginning of the process described above over the files you
edited.  Be sure to run the following command to be sure the original
configuration files are reloaded after they have been restored:
/etc/rc.d/rc.sendmail restart

I hope something in this lengthy description proves useful.

You then continued:
>My biggest challenge now is to learn as much as I can about Linux, so
>again I come to the Speakup community asking for help.  If anyone could
>recommend any good resources I should be checking out,  I'd sure
>appreciate it...

Man pages are often useful--enter `man man' to find out how the man
command itself works.  A lot of documentation is also available in
the directories under /usr/doc.  I have also found this email list
to be quite helpful, even when I am not the one asking any questions.
Above all, be patient--Linux and all of the utilities and programs
that come with it make up a big, powerful system, and the volume of
documentation that is available can be a bit overwhelming at times.

Enjoy Slackware and Speakup, and have a _great_ day!

You then finished:
>Thanks again for any help/suggestions/advice.

You are quite welcome.

rreid at sunset.net  http://personalweb.sunset.net/~rreid
Opinions herein are either mine or they are flame bait.
CIRCLE CIRCUMFERENCE = 2 * _pi * r