I need a new Ethernet card

Joseph C. Lininger jbahm at pcdesk.net
Sat Jul 19 02:58:00 EDT 2003

Hello,
There are quite a few that will work just fine with Linux. Matter of fact, I've found that most will. The problem your going to run in to is that the kernel may not refur to the card specifically by name, but rather the chip set it is using. For example, most linksys cards work well under Linux. However, there is not any option to select a Linksys card. Instead, there is a tulip option and that is the one you need because the cards I'm refurring to use the tulip chip.

As far as cards that will definitely work, any of the 3com 3c90x type will work using the 3c59x option. Most Linksys cards will work with the tulip option. I'm not really sure about others.

--
Joseph C. Lininger
jbahm at pcdesk.net