Installing from the Woody Disks -- How?

Hugh Esco hesco at greens.org
Thu Jul 17 11:44:46 EDT 2003

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Janina Sajka wrote:

> Ah, yes. Of course. APT is a front end for dpkg. Should have thought to
> look under dpkg docs.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Do you happen to also know the answer to the other part of my question?
> Which was -- How do you get notification of what packages are available
> for upgrading before starting the upgrade?

The following is straight from the man apt-get manual page:

       --simulate

       --dry-run

       --no-act
              No  action;  perform  a  simulation  of events that
              would occur but do not actually change the  system.
              Configuration Item: APT::Get::Simulate.

              Simulate prints out a series of lines each one rep
              resenting  a  dpkg  operation,  Configure   (Conf),
              Remove (Remv), Unpack (Inst). Square brackets indi
              cate broken packages with and empty set  of  square
              brackets  meaning breaks that are of no consequence
              (rare).

Those all seem relevant.  I've never used them, though.

-- Hugh