postgresql

Hugh Esco hesco at greens.org
Tue Jul 15 18:57:29 EDT 2003

The postgreSQL Admin Manual says that the short take on installation goes
as follows:

./configure
gmake
su
gmake install
adduser postgres
mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
chown postgres /usr/local/pgsql/data
su - postgres
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data >logfile 2>&1 &
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/createdb test
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql test

Your administrative control over the database server is exercised by the
postgres user.  Adding a postgres user in the OS and using it to invoke
the script to create the Template0 and Template1 databases (that's the
initdb script spoken of above), will set up the server and as the postgres
user, allow you full administrative control.

-- Hugh Esco