ext2 to ext3

Joseph C. Lininger jbahm at pcdesk.net
Sun Jul 13 01:59:55 EDT 2003

Alex,
An ext3 filesystem is simply an ext2 filesystem with a journal. Therefore, if you use tune2fs to add a journal to the filesystem, this will effectively convert the filesystem to ext3. All you have to do to do this is to issue this command as root.

tune2fs -j <device>

Replace <device> with the device the filesystem resides on. Make sure you unmount the filesystem before doing this. Backing it up is not necessary however, as this does not destroy any data on the filesystem.

Note that if this is an automatically mounted filesystem, you will need to change ext2 to ext3 in your fstab file in order to make use of the new journaling capabilities. If it is not, simply make sure that the filesystem is being mounted with type ext3 when you mount it.

--
Joseph C. Lininger
jbahm at pcdesk.net