RedHat 9 and Speakup, almost...

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sat Jul 5 23:30:27 EDT 2003

Itain't necessarily so. You can choose to compile the module for a synth
into the kernel, in which case it will talk from the git go just like it
always has.

On my DEC Alpha system that's exactly how it works. I just compiled a
2.4.21 kernel for this sytem, and that's what I did for my internal
Doubletalk card. But, on my portables, it's nice to think I can plug any
synth in and just reload a different driver instead of rebooting as we
had to under Speakup 1.x.