RedHat 9 and Speakup, almost...

William F. Acker WB2FLW +1-303-722-7209 wacker at octothorp.org
Sat Jul 5 19:24:02 EDT 2003

Hi, Adam,

     You can still compile Speakup into your kernel if desired.  I built
the RPMS with Speakup compiled as modules, because If RH accepts Speakup
at all, it seems that it must be modular.  Thomas has implied that he
knows for a fact that RH won't accept Speakup under any circumstances,
$DEITY knows how he knows that, but I'm still trying.

     As soon as the need for unregistering the UART goes away, we should
be able to put the speakup initialization stuff into an initial RAM disk, so
it should be loaded much earlier.  I even hold out the *hope* that it
would be as early as if it were built-in, but time will tell.

          HTH.
--
          Bill in Denver