ocr

Terry D. Cudney terry at CottageInWasaga.com
Thu Jan 23 08:07:19 EST 2003

Hi guys,

	ocr shop is from Vividata  www.vividata.com

	It is a port of Omnipage Pro OCR from the MS world. The latest versions of OCR Shop for Linux are usually a few versions behind the MS versions, ie not the latest OCR technology for the Linux version.

	It is not free. It is not open source. It is very closely tied to redhat and X11. Last year I tried to get the demo (free download) to install in Debian. Although Vividata promised to make it useable under Debian, to date there is, afaik, no support for anything but Redhat. It (supposedly) can be installed from the comand line under Redhat, but I'm not sure about that either.

	If anyone finds newer info on this, I'm sure many of us would like to hear about it. As for me though, I'm not going to waste more time with it until vivdata broadens their perspective.

--terry