linux and soundcards

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Sat Jan 18 18:58:22 EST 2003

It's true that the kernel driver doesn't support full duplex which
translates to a lot of trouble with Speak Freely.  I've had good luck with
the older Alsa 0.5.12A with my SB AWE64.  This is basically an SB16 with
enhanced MIDI capabilities.  I had no end of trouble with the newer
releases and the developer who I finally got in touch with claimed that
there was a hardware bug in the SB16 cards.  If that were the case, no
driver would work with them.  So, if you are going to use Alsa on an old
card, stick with the old version.  That's my advice.