unbootable hard disk

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sat Jan 18 10:38:07 EST 2003

Argh. No fun at all! Just when you thought you could enjoy a new
computer.

I am most certainly out of my depth here, but I suspect all this mention
of RAID. First off, I don't understand why you would need it. Second, I
would be suspicious that some on board componants are managing it, which
could definitely be a problem.

Many of today's hd's have aa hidden partition for system use that caan't
easily be overwritten. The bios won't permit it. You might want to look
aat your hd with paarted to see if there's a mysterious 7mB hanging
around unexplained. That would push lilo up off the MBR, I think.

But, as I said, I am out of my depth.