unbootable hard disk

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Sat Jan 18 10:14:41 EST 2003

After looking through this thread, I would say that either lilo isn't
replacing it's boot record or mbr is not being put on sector 0.  When
the system boots, sector 0 gets run which then calls another program
depending on whether you are using a boot manager like lilo or not.
Clearly that boot sector is not being run which can only mean a bad
drive sector or no mbr is present.  I suspect it has to be one of
those things.

If you have booted from a flopy then you need to use the chroot and -R
option of lilo to have it write a new boot record to the hard drive
instead of the floppy.  You may be just rewriting the floppy's lilo
sector.

  Kirk

phone: (519) 661-3061