where is everyone,

Ralph W. Reid rreid at sunset.net
Tue Jan 14 03:38:51 EST 2003

Steve Holmes staggered into view and mumbled:
> . . .
>Hey I discovered another great plus for linux over that other OS.
>Several times recently I encountered a situation where the BIOS had
>trouble auto detecting a drive.  When booting with DOS/windows, it
>simply hangs! when I boot with a linux boot disk, the machine comes up
>fine and it can read all available drives without incident.  Linux
>doesn't need BIOS to read the drives apparently.  I have a dual boot
>system here that only boots linux now:)...

My system was going to be a dual boot system until my old hard drive
with the DOS stuff on it refused to spin up when I moved it from my
older system into this one.  I had only a little time to work with a
sighted assistant, so I threw this system together without a master
hard drive.  I'm not sure what othre OS's would do with this mess,
but with LINUX I boot from a floppy and run everything from the lone
slave who hasno master.  It seems to be working quite well like this,
so I plan to leave it like it is indefinitely.

rreid at sunset.net  http://personalweb.sunset.net/~rreid
Opinions herein are either mine or they are flame bait.
SECANT (x) = TAN (x) / COTAN (x)