some progress

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Sun Jan 5 00:54:56 EST 2003

hda2 is not the zip drive. The reson I know this is because
hda2 is the second primary partition on the primary master controller.
Linux partitions work like this:
/dev/hda primary master (whole disk)
/dev/hdb primary slave (whole disk)
/dev/hdc secondary master (whole disk)
/dev/hdd secondary slave (whole disk)

/dev/hda1 primary partition 1 on primary master.
the number after the /dev/hd[a-h] designates partition 1-4 are the first 4 primaries
and 5 onwards are  the extended partitions.
Note that if you have an extended partiton (type 6) it takes one of the
1-4 primaries to store the first pointer.

zip disks formatted under dos usually show up as /dev/hdb4
i.e. the 4th primary partition oon the primary slave in your case.
Before you even try to boot zipslack you should review your kernel messages as the
machine boots and see if the zip drive is showing up at all.
If it is dos formatted try /dev/hdb4 for your root device.

Regards, Kerry.