Speakfreely CVS?

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Fri Feb 28 17:56:08 EST 2003

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Dave Hunt wrote:

> I use either celp or simple compression because my transmitted audio
> is broken up whenever I use anything else.  Celp is the only mode in
> which my audio sounds decent.

There is something seriously wrong in that case.  There are a lot of hacks
to try which involve rebuilding the source with certain flags set in the
Makefile.  For example, -dLINUX_DSP_SMALL_BUFFER and -dNEEDED_LINEAR.
What kind of sound card do you have and are you using Alsa or the stock
drivers?  I see that in the latest version of Speak Freely,
-dNEEDED_LINEAR is set by default.  This is good for the SB Live from what
others have said, but my old SB AWE64 works better without it.  The dead
giveaway is that if you can type "cat busy.au >/dev/audio" and it sounds
like a busy signal, you don't need the option.  The file busy.au is in the
directory where you unpacked the source code.