backup mx

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Thu Feb 20 14:29:51 EST 2003

I don't know about free mailers for multi user processing but one
thing I've done in the past is set up a second mx record at my DNS
host, directnic (www.directnic.com) to point to a mail forwarder.  It
so happens that directnic has such a service so I used to forward the
mail (*@holmesgrown.com to the e-mail given to me free by my internet
provider.  I then used fetchmail on my box to POP down the mail and
toss it through sendmail on my box.  This sounds quite complex but
worked as a backup when my local mail server was off line for any
reason.  I eventually had some problems with that mail ending up in my
root folder instead of being properly tossed and I gave up trying to
fix it.  I think Earthlink changed something in the header format or
something and fetchmail couldn't sort it properly.

Sorry for such a complex explanation but the big challenge is getting
someone to host all mail for a particular domain (as a backup server)
like this.  It would probably be much easier to rig up something for a
single user situation.

HTH.