Fragmented speech with speakup and apollo

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Fri Feb 14 06:33:39 EST 2003

Hi Bue:  That can happen from a couple of situations.  I am not sure
about the ins-and-outs of Redhat 8.0 because Bill Acker takes care of
our Redhat distribution.  I suspect he'll have something to say on
your problem as well.  Are you using a speakup redhat kernel out of
the box?  In later kernels you can see the behaviour you're indicating
because of a processor greater than a 686 of some ilk.  If that
happens to be the problem and I'm not convinced it is you can get
around it by adjusting delay_time and jiffy_delta.  The defaults for
those values at the standard 100hz interrupt frequency is
delay_time=500 and jiffy_delta=5.  If you are running 1000hz jiffies
then you need to increase jiffy_delta=50.

Good luck and let us know.
  Kirk

phone: (519) 661-3061