Commercial email servers for Linux.

Aaron Howell aaron at kitten.net.au
Tue Feb 11 18:44:17 EST 2003

For those interested in paying for commercial email servers that offer web based administration as well as reading.
Dmail/webmail from Netwinsite at http://netwinsite.com is a fully integrated solution which provides both a mail server and an excellent webmail interface.
Webmail is also available as a separate product to run on top of your own sendmail or other email server, however functionality is exchanged for a cheaper price.

communiGate Pro from Stalker Software at http://www.stalker.com
Ah, CommuniGate! My favorite email server from the commercial world.
Easy to set up, easy to administer, but with the power to suit the most demanding environments.
This one is truely slick, and its interface is nice and speech friendly.
its web everything once you do the initial unpack.

Both products provide the ability to heavily customize the interface via simple scripting languages, so you can have it as complex or simple as you like.
We successfully implemented an interface in Netwinsite Webmail that worked well with Lynx.
(I'd imagine the same could be done with CG though.)
The beauty of CommuniGate though is its API that lets you write add-on applications to run with it.

Both products range in price depending on how big a site you're planning to support,
but support from both companies is excellent, and if I were going to be running a professional operation, one of those would be my choice.

Regards
Aaron