Network errors

erik burggraaf erik at erik-burggraaf.com
Mon Feb 10 11:23:40 EST 2003

Greetings all.  I decided to get a little work done on my toy linux box today, and the subject of my curiosity happened to be network connectivity.  Specificly, I wanted to make slackware see and use my cable modem.
In netconfig, I entered my host and domain as requested, using my dynamic host address for the domain.  Then I chose the second option, which said it was recomended for cable and DSL users that had a dynamic IP.  Then it asked for a DHCP host if any.  I called cogeco and they said they didn't use it.  Then, of course, I let it autodetect my card, and just like that I was in.
Then I hooked up the cable modem to the computer, and rebooted.
When I try to get any address using the links command, it says host not found.  So, I rebooted, and had a listen to the litiny of startup messages that here-to-fore, I ignored.   I copied some of this business down, and wondered if it's relavent?  How do I fix the errors below? are they responsible for my not being able to connect to the net?
***Begin output from linux***
8139too fast ethernet driver 0.9.24
PCI: assigned IRQ 10for device 00:0B.0
eth0: RealTekRTL8139 fast ethernet at 0xc3823000, 00:40:f4:15:12:3d,IRQ 10
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulationfor IDE atapi devices
Using /etc/random-seed to initialize /dev/urandom.
Init: entering RunLevel:3
Going Multiuser...
Attempting to configure eth0 by contacting a DHCP server...
/etc/rc.d/rc.M: /sbin/dhcpcd:No such file or directory
Mounting remote (nfs) file systems: /sbin/mount -a -t nfs
Mounting remote (smb) file systems: /sbin/mount -a -t smbfs
Starting sysclogd daemons: /usr/sbin/syslogd /usr/sbin/klogd-c 3 -x
Activating IPV for packet forwarding:
Warning:/usr/sbin/inetd not found.
I'd be greatful for any direction on this you can give me.
Thanks,
Erik