help needed to conect to internet

Alexandre Alves Tôco alexandretoco at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 2 15:48:34 EST 2003

    Hi all! I am new to Linux so I got zipspeak that installs slackware and
speakup. Well, now I am trying to use netconfig.
I am connected to internet through a speedy so I got my ip address and the
ip address of the gateway in the network properties in windows. I put this
information with netconfig but as I try to ping I receive the message
network unreachable. This happens even if I ping my own ip. So I guessed
linux didn't recognize my net card.
Am I correct?
How can I know if Linux got my net card correctly?
Am I doing some thing wrong?
    Thanks, Alexandre.