new redhat 8.0 not speaking

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sat Feb 1 10:02:02 EST 2003

Make sure that what you wrote below for your serial port is really just
a typo. It should be t t y followed by a capital S then the zero.

Your /etc/lilo.conf will look something like the following. Don't mess with the top part:

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
compact
prompt
#The next command sets time out in tenths of a second. So, this setting is 50 seconds
timeout=500
#The next command reads what to display from a file. See below
message = /boot/message
lba32
default=linux
#the following makes your DEC Talk say "boot" at the lilo prompt
serial=0,9600N8

image = /boot/vmlinuz
label=linux
alias = l
initrd=/boot/initrd.img
read-only
root=/dev/hda1
append = "speakup_synth=dectlk hdc=ide-scsi"

There may be more in your file.

The append statement is what starts Speakup. You don't need to specify the port.

Here's how to create a /boot/message file that will beep twice and put "Welcome!" on screen:

echo -e "\a Welcome! \a" >/boot/message

Good luck.

--

				Janina Sajka, Director