installing linux

Alex Snow alex_snow at gmx.net
Mon Dec 29 08:22:12 EST 2003

Hello,
I think you can install over a serial line with most distros. I was
trying this with slackware 8.1 which was the current version at the
time but since I didnt have a nullmodem cable it failed.
what you do and someone correct me if i'm wrong is pass the param
console=ttyS0 or something like that on the kernel commandline. It's
been a while since I did this so I forget the details.
On
Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 06:33:16AM -0600, Vortek, Eater Of Souls! wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I believe this question has been asked before, and therefore, I
> apologise for asking again.
> I'm wondering about alternative ways of installing linux.
> I heard someone talking about installing over a serial connection, and
> also heard about installing over a telnet connection.
> I'm wondering which of these is possible, and with which distrobutions.
> I have a pentium 166 with 16mb of ram, so any newer Redhat releases are
> probably out, unless you can force it to install on a system that the
> installer doesn't like.
> I've heard that newer Redhat distros refuse to install on anything with
> less than 64mb of RAM.
> Any help would be greatly appriciated.
> Thanks.

back.