hard disk

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Fri Dec 26 23:22:40 EST 2003

Your disk could be failing.  The mtbf for most hard disks is 5 years but
I.B.M. hard disks have an mtbf of 15 years.  Try buying an IBM hard disk
and you'll notice that fact reflected in the price tag if purchased new.
If your computer has been sounding like a loud ticking clock lately that's
a sign of hard disk failure.  I've had this Dell long enough to have to
replace the hard disk and that's what happened over here before the drive
died.  Fortunately, much more capacity is available for about the same
amount of money than was the case a few years ago.  The 20GB disk in the
Dell installed in 1999 died earlier in 2003 just after the warranty ran
out on the machine.  So now for a few extra dollars I have a drive with 6
tunes the capacity of the original purchased from a local vendor.