Talking bios

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Wed Dec 24 13:00:13 EST 2003

I guess I should be complete about the advice here ...

If you get a system which is currently using Milo, you have to set a
jumper to switch to SRM.

But, if you get an Alpha, you know where to ask for help! <grin>

Alex Snow writes:
> From: Alex Snow <alex_snow at gmx.net>
>
> cool.
> On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 12:49:24PM -0500, Janina Sajka wrote:
> > There are two apps for bios access on the Alpha:
> >
> > Milo is a menued interface which I didn't find to be at all accessible.
> >
> > SRM is straight 9600 8bn1 serial command line driven. Very arcane
> > commands, but very accessible once you learn the commands.
> >
> > And, almost the coolest part is how you activate serial communications
> > -- just unplug any video monitor in the VGA port and plug something into
> > the first serial port. Bingo, you're up at the SRM's >>> prompt.
> >
> > Downside is that, if you're on a BNS kind of device, you have to be
> > careful what file you're in! <grin> I've trashed a few files because I
> > wasn't careful.
> >
> > Alex Snow writes:
> > > From: Alex Snow <alex_snow at gmx.net>
> > >
> > > you have a dec alpha? sweet!
> > > I'm thinking of grabbing one of those off of ebay or something. they
> > > seem like cool machines from what I've heard. and the bios is
> > > accessible?

> Always borrow money from a pessimist; he doesn't expect to be paid
> back.

Janina Sajka
Email: janina at rednote.net
Phone: (202) 408-8175

Director, Technology Research and Development
American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
http://www.afb.org

Chair, Accessibility Work Group
Free Standards Group