Intro and newbie questions

Garry Turkington garry.turkington at acm.org
Tue Dec 23 22:47:47 EST 2003

Hi,

Firstly a greeting to all on the list from a newcomer.  My name is Garry
Turkington and though I'm new to Speakup I've been using and developing on
Linux since about 1995 or so.  In that time I've used a DOS screen reader
and accessed a Linux box as a dumb serial console.  However, having to
keep my main desktop as an eternal dual boot finally frustrated me enough
to want to do something about native access to Linux.

Which implies I really should know enough to get Speakup working!  Despite
this though I've a few questions which hopefully someone can clear up for
me.

As I've already got a number of established RedHat or Fedora installs I
just want to add Speakup to one or more of these, not do a fresh install
from the modified Shrike ISOs on the website.  Apart from the -spk2 kernel
packages are there any other differences between these disks and the stock
RH 9?

WWhen looking to build Speakup into a kernel tree I firstly did some
poking around the RH/Fedora kernel config files and noticed that the
Speakup definitions are in there but never used.  Memory also seems to
suggest that at one point, (maybe around RH 7.3 or 8?) that Speakup was
fully built into the 'out of the box' kernel?  Any pointers to the history
here and what's going on?

Finally, to bootstrap things I installed the latest -spk2 kernel from the
Shrike ISOs into a running RH9 system and then tried a "modprobe
speakup_decext" to use my Dectalk Express.  I think though that Speakup is
trying to grab /dev/ttyS0, which is my current serial console and things
get a bit messed up from that point.  Losing the serial console also makes
it hard to debug.  /dev/ttyS1 should be properly set up, does the speakup
module take parameters to tell it which serial port to use?

Many thanks for any info/help,
Garry

--
Garry Turkington