talking bios?

Shaun Oliver shaun_oliver at optusnet.com.au
Tue Dec 23 02:58:28 EST 2003

at the risk of being helpful, Sean McMahon delivered up the following on Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 09:57:39AM -0700,
> How would the bios talk when you don't have sound yet do the cerial ports
> work?
*SNIP*

I think my signature speaks for itself with reference to the above.
However, the serial ports would work but better yet if you have a hardware synth, either
internal or serial, then that would be the method of choice imho.
Personally I believe it's doable but we're in the minority. and motherboard manufacturers
aren't just going to implement a form of talking bios or put openbios on their motherboards
just because blind people want it, there's got to be something in it for them. a monetery
reason why to implement it and my guess is it'd be cheeper for them to do so..
Spell it out in dollars and cents for them not poor little blind people want it.
As a totally blind user of a computer myself, it sucks enough as it is we've got to pay and
dearly for the hardware we need to access our pile of cylicone and junk. not to mention the
um. uh hem uh hem proprietory software we need to access that other os, can anyone say jaws or
windoweyes?
I for one am glad for Linux and speakup, and if it can be implemented somehow in a bios
situation then I'm all for it. but sell it to manufacturers correctl.y or they won't want a
bar of it.

--
Shaun Oliver

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person."
email: shaun_oliver at optusnet.com.au
WEB: http://blindman.homelinux.org/
IRC: irc.awesomechat.net:6666
IRCNICK: blindman