fedora

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Fri Dec 19 08:24:55 EST 2003

You have to do two things:

1.)	 Get rid of first boot. To do this you have to boot to single
user mode. You may need sighted assistance for this, because you need to
issue this command at the right time, while the Grub boot loader is on
screen and available for commands. It's a window of about 10 seconds
right after bios initialization, and before Linux actually starts. Type:

a s

This should take you to a command prompt.

2.)	 To start speakup at the command prompt type:

modprobe speakup_[synth.keyword]

where [synth.keyword] is the appropriate Speakup designation for your
speech synthesizer. For example, if your using DEC Talk Express, this
word becomes:

modprobe speakup_dectlk

3.)	Now, with Speakup talking, you can get rid of first boot with:

chkconfig --level 0123456 firstboot off

If, also, you want your system only to boot into console mode, and not
to graphical mode, edit the file /etc/inittab and find the line that
says:

id:5:initdefault:

and change the 5 to a 3 so that it now says:

id:3:initdefault:

You can keep starting speakup this way if you want. But, to make it
start when you start your system, you need to create an initrd image
with speakup in it. This image replaces the one in your /boot directory.
Because you have to specify the kernel version, it's easiest to use the
[TAB] key to complete your command. So, to make this image and use the
[TAB] key to help you specify the command correctly, first:

cd /lib/modules

Then, type the following, pressing [TAB] where I've indicated it:

mkinitrd -v -f /boot/initrd-[TAB] --with=speakup_[synth.keyword]
2.4[TAB]

Once this command runs, read up the screen from the bottom a few lines.
Make sure it's saying something about speakup. If it is, you're all set.

If you get stuck on any of this, just call Bill.

Good luck!

Pawe? Loba writes:
> From: Pawe? Loba <pl at adaptech.net>
>
> Hi: I just installed fedora on my system. Can you kindly remind me how to
> make this thing to talk to me, please? Of course, I used Bill's speakup
> enabled images for the installation.
>
> Thanks,
> Pawel.

Janina Sajka
Email: janina at rednote.net
Phone: (202) 408-8175

Director, Technology Research and Development
American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
http://www.afb.org

Chair, Accessibility Work Group
Free Standards Group