Using Emacs, was Re: having trouble when back spacing

Erik Heil eheil at patmedia.net
Thu Dec 18 12:14:54 EST 2003

Hi.
EmacsSpeak has speech-enabled items and was expressly written for Emacs.
When you take that into consideration, Emacspeak has considerable
development and is mature and stable.  For free software synths, Festival
and Flite work fine with Emacspeak and are totally free.  I don't know what
distro you are running, but I know for a fact that Flite has a RPM distro,
should you choose this synth.  Flite though isn't on the high quality side
of things, IMHO I rather would use Festival.  Note if you have a hardware
synth, you can get Speakup and Emacspeak to cooperate quite nicely, just
disable Speakup in whatever console you run Emacspeak in.  If you have any
other questions, feel free to e-mail me off-list.