usability of softsynth was:Re: Unloading of Speakup Modules

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Sun Dec 14 20:38:20 EST 2003

First, I haven't seen any span on the cvs list list unless you mean my
checkins! 'grin'  It is a closed list as are all of my lists so spam
shouldn't be able to get on to it.  Next spam you get from the cvs
list please bounce it to me or forward it so all the headers are
intact and I'll look into it.

Okay,  As far as I know the softsynth driver should be usable.  I have
been making many changes to tuxtalk to modify it so it can be used
with the softsynth device.  It still has a long way to go although I
did get it running with speakup for the first time this evening.  I
would not recommend checking it out and trying it quite yet but
probably within the next day it should be usable.  Not exactly the
best synth in the world but we will continue to improve it.

To use softsynth with other software synthesizers either each synth
will need to have a custom front end written or a middleware program
will need to be used.  That will probably take some time because the
synths like festival and flite will need a lot of work to get them to
work like we're used to having our synths work.  If anyone wants to
step and volunteer to write middleware code please let me know.  It'll
be awhile waiting for me to get them all working.

  Kirk

phone: (519) 661-3061