Unloading of Speakup Modules

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Sun Dec 14 10:29:02 EST 2003

I would like to make some observations concerning the loading and
unloading of Speakup when compiled as modules.  Loading works great
and I really can't say much more about that.

For unloading, I did notice that the machine will still lock up when
unloading from a console unless I explecitly echo "none" to
/proc/speakup/synth_name *FIRST.  When I echo "none" first, it seems
to unload every time without incident.

Now here's the wierd part.  If I unload and reload speakup say 3 times
or more, I lose speech but the modules still appear to load.  To
demonstrate this, take a listing of currently inserted modules with
'lsmod' each time before and after reloading speakup.  When it is
working correctly, the synthesiser module along with speakupmain seem
to be in a normal state.  After I reload speakup one too many times:),
I have no speech but a subsequent 'lsmod' shows that the speakup
synthesizer module is load but it also says "initializing".  After
that, I can't seem to get speech back without rebooting the system.  I
used the script / typescript facility to capture my findings.  I can
recreate those if one needs them.

Speakup v-2.00 CVS: Wed Dec 10 11:51:47 EST 2003
synth spkout version 1.1

Does any of this make sense?:)
--
HolmesGrown Solutions