mutt and sendmail.

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at sent.com
Sat Dec 13 06:28:50 EST 2003

Shaun,

I am using sendmail in Slackware 9.1 with success and can suggest
two ways to get sendmail to use a smart host. One is to modify
the sendmail.cf file in the /etc/mail directory, or create a new
sendmail.cf file altogether, and the other way is to create a
mailertable data base in the same directory. Neither method is
particularly difficult.

Open the file /etc/mail/sendmail.cf with a text editor you trust,
and find a line containing only two characters, "DS" (in caps).
In my file it is around line 92 or so, but yours may be
different. Add the name of your smart host smtp server to that
line with no space or surrounding punctuation. Mine looks like
this:

DSoutgoing.verizon.net

Save your changes and exit the file. Then you have to restart
your sendmail daemon, by typing this (as root):

/etc/rc.d/rc.sendmail restart

There may be other enhancements you will want to make to sendmail
that might not be as easy, and might require you to rebuild a new
sendmail.cf from scratch, but the smart host thing is easy.

The mailertable method is not hard either, but the above should
get you going.

Chuck