Apollo and fedora

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sun Dec 7 11:59:17 EST 2003

You're clouding my advice here, and I think you're wrong to do so. So,
let me cut to the chase ...

What is the blkind person to do when firstboot launches?

You are wrong when you say it's an X app, because you don't have
recourse to Ctrl-Alt-F1, as you would if the full X login were launched.

So, how does the blind person handle it? You've got a graphical screen,
and no way to get out of it.

Jacob Schmude writes:
> From: Jacob Schmude <jschmude at adelphia.net>
>
> Hi
> Well, technically speaking, you don't have to do this, but it is a good
> idea to do so. Firstboot is a first-time configuration tool that pops up
> when you first boot your fedora system. However, this tool is entirely
> x-based, so its value to us as blind users right now is marginal, at best.
> I've not yet checked to see if, in fact, gnopernicus would provide us
> access to this but I'm enclined to doubt it. If you don't disable this,
> you're going to be pushing the enter key lots of times just to get to a
> login prompt.
> This does not, however, stop the system from coming up in X, to do that you
> need to edit /etc/inittab and find the line saying:
> id:5:initdefault
> and change it to
> id:3:initdefault
> You can do this right after you've disabled firstboot. It would be nice if
> they actually asked this during install, I mean, if you use the text mode
> install then isn't there a possibility that you'd want text mode when you
> rebooted?
> HTH
> At 09:07 12/7/2003, you wrote:
> >I didn't have to do this the last time, what exactly is this doing?  I
> >assume its just changing the run level back to the command line?

Janina Sajka
Email: janina at rednote.net
Phone: (202) 408-8175

Director, Technology Research and Development
American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
http://www.afb.org

Chair, Accessibility Work Group
Free Standards Group