Servers and Tos

Alex Snow alex_snow at gmx.net
Sat Dec 6 12:19:41 EST 2003

yeah well don't multiple cable users share an 'node'? so if someone's
using a shitload of bandwidth the others can notice slowness? I don't
notice this bc I think I'm one of the few people if any others on my
particular node.

so if my idea of how cable works is right then I can kind of see why
they wont let you run servers. bc you'll use that node's upstream and
the other lusers will complain. that's not saying I agree...
On Sat, Dec
06, 2003 at 11:02:18AM -0600, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 12:12:24AM -0600, Vortek, Eater Of Souls! wrote:
> > and, I totally agree, any ISP that gives you lightening fast speeds, and doesn't think your going to run servers is totally moronic,
> > and to enforce that, is beyond moronic, and totally unfair.
>
> If you would have said that about dsl, I would totally agree with
> you. However, you need to keep in mind the differences between dsl and
> cable connections. Yes, they both give you fast speeds, but they don't
> work the same way, just as a car and train can get you somewhere fast,
> but there are differences of course between how a car and train work.
>
> So, when cable ISPs don't allow their users to run servers, I can
> totally see where the ISP is coming from.
>
> Greg

back.