getting gnome running under debian

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Sat Dec 6 12:08:59 EST 2003

Thanks. It turned out I didn't have xserver-xfree86 and xserver-common
installed. So, I installed that, and configured xserver-xfree86 per
your instructions below. However, I still have the same problem. I've
looked at XFree86.0.log, and the end result is that the server fails
to start, but even though some things fail to open according to the
log, it looks to me like things should still start.

Since I am not familiar with what is normal in a XFree86.0.log, could
someone please allow me to send them privately my XFree86.0.log and my
XF86config4 file, with the hope that someone could explain to me what
I'm missing, and what's going on?
Thanks.

Greg