Shell Accounts

Joseph C. Lininger jbahm at pcdesk.net
Wed Dec 3 22:25:45 EST 2003

Hi,
The way I do this is as follows. First, add the following to the end
of your /etc/shells file.

/bin/nologin

This way, your ftp server will consider /bin/nologin a valid shell.
Now, create /bin/nologin as follows:

#!/usr/bin/tail +2
Sorry, but logins for this account are disabled.
It is being used only to provide a service.

Now make this executable with this command:

chmod 755 /bin/nologin

Finally, set the shell of the account you want to block logins for to
/bin/nologin.

There are other ways to do this, but I like this one because it
provides an explanatory message to those trying to log in. Anyone
attempting to login to the account will receive the following
message:

Sorry, but logins for this account are disabled.
It is being used only to provide a service.

Once the message is printed, the connection will be promptly
terminated.
- ---
Joseph C. Lininger
jbahm at pcdesk.net