New Red Hat Linux/Fedora Core kernels.

William F. Acker WB2FLW +1-303-722-7209 wacker at octothorp.org
Wed Dec 3 01:29:17 EST 2003

Hi all,

     New kernels are being built and uploaded to the Speakup Site this
evening into tomorrow morning.  They are for Red Hat Linux 7x, 8.0, 9, and
Fedora Core 1.  There's a glitch with the Fedora kernels.  I had to change
the release number because the stock release numbers are too long for the
installer, once the Speakup modifier is added to the end.  I guess I don't
know enough about how the release numbers are incremented.  The result is
that RPM thinks that the new kernel is older than the one that's presently
installed.  The work-around is to add the "--oldpackage"  keyword to the
command line.  For example: "rpm -iv kernel-2.4.2-2a.nptlspk2.i686.rpm
--oldpackage".

     Installation ISO's for Red Hat Linux 9 and Fedora Core 1 will appear
tomorrow.
          HTH.

Bill in Denver