slackware iso's

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Mon Dec 1 18:30:06 EST 2003

I used the gpg method you describe below. However, it occurred to me
that there is nothing stopping someone from potentially cracking an
ftp server, and changing the iso image, while leaving the asc file
intact. So, doing gpg --verify <ascfilename> would still tell you the
signature is correct, even though the iso(s) had been messed with.

Am I missing something here, or is this train of thought actually
correct. If this train of thought is correct, then what's the point of
the .asc file, other then to give an unsuspecting user a false sense
of security?

Greg