sending outgoing mail

Christopher Moore christopher.h.moore at verizon.net
Wed Aug 27 14:54:14 EDT 2003

Yes indeed, sendmail can be configured to authenticate outgoing mail.  I
got it working several months ago and have since forgotten some of the
details.  What I found most helpful was the following document:
http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/auth.html

Depending on what kind of authentication you are doing, you can bypass some
of the steps.  For example, in my case I was only interested in the client
side of things which would apply to most of us who are connecting to our
ISP's mail server.

Another helpful source is the Sendmail-Address-Rewrite mini-HOWTO.

If anyone is interested I can send them a copy of my sendmail.mc file which
encorporates the changes necessary to implement both documents.

Chris