sending outgoing mail

Ralph W. Reid rreid at sunset.net
Wed Aug 27 10:31:53 EDT 2003

William F. Acker WB2FLW +1-303-722-7209 staggered into view and mumbled:

>Hi,
>
>     RHL already comes with the cyrus-sasl libraries, so he should be OK.
>Joe's solution is probably the easiest, though.  Are you saying that
>you've found a way to have sendmail authenticate to a smart host?  If so,
>I'm listening.  I don't need it myself because my addresses are static, so
>I just let sendmail send directly to the destination, but this could be a
>big help to those I support.  Let me know.

On my Slackware 9.0 system, I changed 2 lines in /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
and /etc/mail/submit.cf which might do what you are looking for.  In
both files, look for a line like the following:

Dj$w.Foo.COM

and change them to reflect your ISP.  For example, my ISP is
sunset.net, and the following line put into both files works for me:

Djsunset.net

The next pair of lines to modify look as follows:

DS

The smart host my ISP provides is smtp.sunset.net, so the lines now
appear as follows in both files:

DSsmtp.sunset.net

Naturally, you will have to adjust these values to match the ISP in
question.  I hope this helps, and have a _great_ day!

rreid at sunset.net  http://personalweb.sunset.net/~rreid
Opinions herein are either mine or they are flame bait.
SEC (x) / COSEC (x) = (TAN (x) / COTAN (x)) ^ 2