best settings for the bns

Michael Damien Curran mick at jantrid.net
Sat Aug 23 02:40:50 EDT 2003

Hi,
I did try making speakup talk to the bns (Braille Lite) at 38400 baud, but
it really didn't speed anything up anyway.
I've  played around with some of the run-time speakup variables and have got
the bns and speakup  the most responsive as possible, which is actually
pretty good. How ever, the only one big problem I am having is that for some
reason speakup sends the bns the shutup command always one block after it
should have been sent.

A few examples:
if I constantly press enter at a normal bash prompt ("nebula:~#"), it sounds
like this:
"nebulanebnebnebnebnebnebnebnebnebnebnebnebnebneb<I stop pressing
enter>nebnebula:~#"
(the shutup command seemed to be one off, so it was able to say the first
full "nebula" instead of just "neb").

Another one is if I press enter once at a prompt and then press the control
key straight after... like, n a split second after it says ":".

Another example is arrowing up and down in vim or Joe. The cursor tracking
works fine, but again, it *seems* to be laggy because the shutup command is
not given till one block after it is supposed to. so, technically it is
finishing off reading the last line (well at least up to a punctuation mark)
before it reads the next.

But again, if I constantly press the down arrow key, it will read the first
block fully then do all its shutup commands fine from there on.

How ever, when I am just typing, it is saying the keys as responsively as it
could be, there is certainly not a delay in normal key presses.

If anyone has any idea why this may be happening, or how to possibly fix
this, I'd love to here from you.

Kirk:
You were right in saying that because I asked how to change baud rate, this
showed my lack of understanding of the drivers etc, but the only reason I
asked in that way was because I know you hate people asking for you to
change things, or add features etc. And if it was possible for *me* to do
it, well, yeh... save you doing it and, more experience for me. :)
I'm very slowly upping my knowledge of C anyway ... the other week I wrote
myself a very primitive pcm player, with a few effects like echo, fake
karaoke, mono, out of phayse, and flanger (that one was the hardist to
write).

Mick

--
---