OT: weather script

Christopher Moore christopher.h.moore at verizon.net
Tue Aug 19 17:30:13 EDT 2003

When looking at the commercially available voices on cepstral.com, I came
across the demo weather voice.

Before I re-invent the wheel, I was wondering whether a weather script
exits which would speak the weather conditions and/or forecast for a
particular city/zip code. I do this now by going into the
braille.wunderground.com site in lynx, punching in the zipcode, hitting the
submit button and reading the resulting screens.

What I'm looking for is a shell script which would retrieve the weather and
send it to flite or some other software synth for spoken output.  Once such
a script were developed, a similar thing could be done for, say, stock
quotes.

I view this as a three step process:
1.   Retrieve the info from the net
2.  edit the results to strip out all the stuff you didn't want to hear,
3.  send the resulting text to festival, flite or a commercial voice.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Chris