Testing flite

dking at pimpsoft.com dking at pimpsoft.com
Tue Aug 19 07:40:47 EDT 2003

I just installed it on my computer myself, once you do the 'gmake install' type 'flite_time ##:##' and your computer will speack the time you entered to you.

As for the main app itself, it's rather easy to use, just type at your prompt:

file [file name] [output.wav]

This will take the text file of [file name] and output it in the speech synth audio file in a .wav format.

If you are looking to just have audio output and no file output, then doing:

flite "text here to be spoken."

Will make the flite system speak whatever you have in the quotes.

The following shell script is what I use to make getting the current time on my system:

#!/bin/bash
flite_time $(echo date+%H:%M)))

This will get the current time for you from your system clock under linux and pass it into the flite_time app, I saved this as /bin/vtime and chmod 755 it, and it works great.

Im currently looking for other uses for it, so far the few people I have given shells have been using it to tell me things, but mostly its been to tell me to check my email and such, any ideas would be very helpfull.

- D

I am trying to get up and running with software speach. I currently have
what I believe is a working installation of flite. Can someone tell me how
to test it, and make sure it actually works? Also to set up with Eflite, and
Yasr, is there any guides? I see almost no guides for Yasr, and pray that
eflite can find my efault flite installation that uses shared librarys, it
was the only way i got it to install. appreciate any info as docs sceem
scarce.