How to get speech during bootup from CVS Speakup

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon Aug 18 13:08:29 EDT 2003

With Bill's help, I've just succeeded at getting the CVS version of
Speakup to talk during the bootup process on the one system I have which
uses an internal Doubletalk. We do not yet know how to get this working
with external speech synthesizers, but this should work for the internal
Accent as well as the internal Doubletalk.

Here's how to do it.

Create an initrd something like this:

mkinitrd --preload speakupmain --preload speakup_[synth.keyword] [initrd.filename] [kernel.version]

IMPORTANT: Be sure to issue this command all on one line even though it
may appear across several lines in this email message.

EXAMPLE:  Since I'm using Bill's kernel patched with CVS Speakup for the
current Red Hat beta, Severn, my command is:

mkinitrd --preload speakupmain --preload speakup_dtlk /boot/initrd.img 2.4.21-20.1.2024.2.1.nptlspk2

PS: It doesn't talk quite as early as Speakup 1.5, but pretty close.

--

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development