sshd problem

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Tue Aug 12 19:29:36 EDT 2003

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, igueths at comcast.net wrote:

> Hi there. I can't login from the current machine I am at, but a friend said
> he can get into the box no problem using his account. I'm not running sshd
> under inetd so that wouldn't be a problem as was the case with telnetd. I
> should probably check into the public keys/authorized_keys.

I am under the impression that you compiled your own sshd.  Is that true?
If so, I think you have to enable tcp wrapper support for it to work
correctly.  Then, even though it doesn't run from inetd, you would need a
line in /etc/hosts.allow like:
sshd: all
to make it work.  I never compiled my own sshd.  I've always used the one
that came with the distribution and had to use hosts.allow to enable it as
I have all services denied by default.