Talking Linux On Thinkpad six hundred?

Luke Davis ldavis at shellworld.net
Tue Aug 12 14:37:08 EDT 2003

Hello all:

I have an IBM Thinkpad 600 (not 600E).  Built in modem, removable CDROM
drive, pluggable floppy, two PC slots, IR transceiver (for which I have no
use), USB ports, docking station port, one serial, one parallel, one PS2,
and the standard keyboard, mouse, and sound.

My copy of XP Home edition has finally bitten the dust, and I'm thinking
I'll blow it away, and split the six gb hd in half, with half going to a
new copy of XP Pro, and the rest going to Debian 3.0 R1.

Has anyone ever done this with an IBM Thinkpad 600?  Some of the earlier
Thinkpads had problems doing this sort of thing, and had very bad (as in:
mother board hozing) power management bugs, and the like.

I'm going to go through my old bookmarks on the subject, and do some web
searches, but I thought I would inquire here, to see what people knew.

I'll be running Speakup, and to start, will be using a DEC Express, later
switching to software speech, or a PCMCIA speech card, unless I can pick
up a cheap Doubletalk LT.

Thanks,

Luke