Working with CVS Modules

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Tue Aug 12 11:27:52 EDT 2003

This might be a beginner question to some folks, but I wonder about
working with sources I checkout with CVS.  Example here is the
listen-up program. I have listen-up checked out and of course it sits
in a cvs hierarchy on my hard drive.  When I go to compile it, other
files are going to be introduced into this directory structure such as
object and load modules.  I would think this would sort of corrup the
original CVS checked out code, wouldn't it? Should I copy these source
files out into a separate directory for local compiles and such? I
realize if I should begin doing any development or modifications here,
I should do them in this CVS tree (that is if I were to have CVS
update privs).  If I only supply patches to someone else to do the
commits, then that's another reason I should maintain a separate
source tree for any local changes I make.

I guess I'm wondering what most people do in these type environments.
Where do you usually do the work and when do you make changes to the
CVS source tree and such?  If there is a good conscise write-up I
should read, I'll gladly accept any pointers:).

Thanks for any ideas,
<Steve>
--
Make sure your E-mail can be read by everyone!
http://www.betips.net/etc/evilmail.html