a bash scripting question

Hugh Esco hesco at greens.org
Wed Aug 6 18:57:38 EDT 2003

You caught me away from my reference library, but essentially arguments on
the command line of a command that invokes a bash script are referenced as
$1, $2, $3, etc.

So you could, after your #!/bin/bash line, assign the arguments to your
variables like so:

VAR1 = $1
VAR2 = $2

I think.  You may need to define them as $VAR1 and $VAR2, but I'm not
sure, try it both ways and see which works.

Also, if you have more than 9 arguments on the command line, you can use
the shift command to access those beyond $9.

The man page for bash is pretty thorough, as I recall.

-- Hugh